Tampa Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you got hit by a car, we can fight for the compensation you deserve
Every year in Florida, thousands of people are seriously injured while hundreds of others are killed in pedestrian accidents. Whether the at-fault driver was speeding, texting while driving, driving drunk, hit you in a parking lot or was otherwise driving recklessly, getting hit by a car as a pedestrian can result in severe and potentially fatal injuries.
No matter what type of injury you’re dealing with after getting hit by a car, the symptoms can be painful and the consequences devastating. You may need extensive medical treatment, including surgery, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and/or long-term care. You may not be able to work for an extended period of time – or maybe ever again.
Some of the most common injuries you can sustain when you get hit by a car include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries/Head Injuries
- Back Injuries/Spinal Cord Damage
- Fractured and Broken Bones
- Neck Injuries
- Injuries to the Face (e.g., chipped/broken tooth, broken nose, broken jaw)
- Punctured Lung
- Abdominal Injuries
- Torn Rotator Cuff/Dislocated Shoulder
- Road Rash
If you got hit by a car while crossing the street, walking, or simply being out in public, you can protect your legal rights with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. At Armando Personal Injury Law in Tampa, founding attorney Armando Edmiston has the knowledge and experience to handle every aspect of your claim and get you the compensation you’re entitled to.
What should I do if I was hit by a car?
If you get hit by a car as a pedestrian, you should try to remain calm so you can assess the situation. Once you’ve regained your bearings, you should:
- Call 911 – If you’ve been injured and need medical attention, call 911 immediately to request an ambulance. If you’re unable to make the call, ask someone else to do it for you. If you don’t need emergency medical care, tell the dispatcher that you were hit by a car and give them your location so they can send an officer to investigate. If you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident, try to give the dispatcher a detailed description of the driver and their car. Do not attempt to follow or chase down the at fault driver.
- Get the Driver’s Information – You’ll want to get the name, address, phone number, license plate number, license number, insurance company name and policy number of the at-fault driver. If you were hit by a commercial vehicle, get the name and contact information for the driver’s employer.
- Find Witnesses – If anybody witnessed your accident, see if they’ll stay to give a statement to police for the official accident report. You should also get their name and contact information. Eyewitness testimony can be a powerful piece of evidence.
- Take Pictures – Document the crash scene with as many detailed pictures as possible. Show all the damage to the car that hit you, skid marks, crosswalks, street signs, traffic signals, road markings, construction, hazards, and any visible injuries you may have sustained.
- See a Medical Professional – Even if you aren’t visibly injured or experiencing any symptoms, you should get checked out by a licensed medical professional within 24 hours of your accident. Some injuries, such as a concussion or traumatic brain injury, can have delayed onset symptoms that aren’t immediately noticeable. If you wait too long to get checked out by a doctor, the insurance company may question the severity of your injuries and challenge or deny your claim.
- Contact an attorney – An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer can handle every aspect of your claim and guide you through the entire process, step by step.
I was hit by a car, how much money will I get?
There isn’t a set amount of money you’ll receive for getting hit by a car, as any compensation you’re awarded will be calculated based on your losses and the impact your injuries have had on your lifestyle. Your claim could be worth hundreds, thousands, or more. In general, if you were hit by a car you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Earning Capacity
- Replacement Services
- Pain and Suffering/Punitive Damages
If you’re the loved one of someone who was killed in a fatal pedestrian accident, you may also be able to pursue damages (e.g., funeral costs, loss of future earnings) through a wrongful death claim.
Do I need a lawyer if I was hit by a car?
While you are not legally required to hire an attorney after being hit by a car, you should consider at least speaking with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer to go over your rights and discuss your options. An attorney can:
- Launch an investigation into your accident
- Preserve important pieces of evidence
- Analyze the police accident report
- Seek out and interview eyewitnesses
- Find and review security feeds/surveillance video of your accident
- Consult with accident-reconstruction experts
- Help you get the medical treatment you need and deserve
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Represent you in court, if necessary
It’s also been shown that if you hire a pedestrian accident lawyer to handle your personal injury claim, you’ll receive more in average compensation compared to having no representation at all.
Let a pedestrian accident lawyer get you every dollar you deserve
Don’t settle for less than what you’re entitled to. Armando Edmiston is an attorney who can aggressively advocate for your best interests and fight to get you the highest amount of compensation possible for your specific case. Contact us today for a free case evaluation. Our office is located in Tampa and we offer legal representation on a contingency fee basis. That means you don’t have to pay us anything unless we win your case.