A Tampa Car Accident Lawyer Discusses the Dangers
Parking lots and parking garages in Hillsborough County can be dangerous. You might think otherwise because vehicles are moving much slower, but they still pose a risk to the health and lives of drivers and pedestrians, especially during the busy holiday shopping season.
A car accident that occurs in a parking lot can quickly turn a carefree day of shopping into a holiday nightmare. You may be injured, facing legal challenges, and immersed in the frustrating world of insurance claims.
The fact is, parking lot accidents occur every day in the Tampa area and throughout Florida. The National Safety Council (NSC) records tens of thousands of parking lot accidents every year, along with hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries. One of the major problems, the NSC says, is that many think nothing of engaging in distracted driving. It conducted a poll of parking lot drivers that found:
- 66% use their phones to make and receive calls.
- 63% seek directions to their next destination on a GPS.
- 56% read and send texts.
- 52% are paying more attention to social media than their surroundings.
- 50% send and read emails.
- 49% take photographs or watch videos.
Parking Lot Driving Tips
You can do only so much to protect yourself from reckless drivers, whether on a high-speed interstate or in a low-speed parking lot. The NSC cites common sense as your best defense as either a driver or pedestrian, even when others are ignoring it. The agency recommends:
- Remaining within marked lanes or walkways, same as on public roads. Taking shortcuts through parking lots or cutting across parking spaces exposes you to dangers from unexpected directions.
- Obeying all signs and signals.
- Make eye contact when you encounter a driver or pedestrian. Never assume that they can see you.
- Be extra careful to watch for pedestrians when backing out of a parking space.
- Mastering the use of modern safety technology, such as backup cameras and sensors. At the same time, recognize their limitations as they may not warn you about motorcycles, small or objects, or people.
- Relying on old-fashioned safety measures, such as checking your mirrors and blind spots, and looking in every direction before moving your vehicle.
- Watching out for parking lot hazards, such as potholes, cracks, debris, puddles, and trash.
- Driving and parking in areas with good lighting as close as possible to where you are shopping.
Protect Your Rights by Hiring a Lawyer
Whether you were hit by a car in a parking lot or got into a crash with another driver, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses. The same applies to those who slip and fall in a parking lot due to hazards on the premises, such as loose gravel, uneven pavement, poor lighting, or slick surfaces.
You can suffer serious injuries in a parking lot accident, including fractured and broken bones, concussions, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, and internal bleeding. The road to recovery can be long and difficult, especially when dealing with insurance adjusters who care more about protecting company profits than paying you the compensation you're entitled to.
At Armando Personal Injury Law, we know the obstacles crash victims face when they've been injured. That's why when we represent you, we treat your problems like our problems. Our attorneys have the knowledge, experience, and resources to fight for every dollar you deserve, and we won't let an insurance company try to take advantage of you.
Discover what an experienced Tampa car accident attorney can do for you. Contact us today for a free consultation. We proudly serve clients throughout Hillsborough County.