Too often, negligent drivers cause serious and fatal crashes
Florida is consistently among the states with the highest frequency of documented car accidents annually, and while Miami may be the city with the most crashes in the Sunshine State, Tampa is not far behind. According to a recent report by News Talk Florida, as of 2021, Tampa had the third-highest number of motor vehicle accidents in the state. Furthermore, the I-4 corridor connecting Daytona Beach to Tampa is plagued by nearly two fatalities per mile, making it a particularly dangerous stretch of road.
One significant factor contributing to the high frequency of car accidents in Tampa is the prevalence of negligent drivers. While education and improved road infrastructure are also vital components in enhancing roadway safety within the area, drivers play a pivotal role in creating safer roads.
Unfortunately, too many drivers cause accidents that leave others with severe or fatal injuries. Crash victims have recourse through the Florida civil justice system, but the process of recovering financial compensation for their losses often proves to be a struggle. At Armando Personal Injury Law, we have a track record of getting real results in Hillsborough County. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident, contact us today to review your potential legal options.
Top 6 Causes of Car Accidents in Tampa, FL
Here are six of the most common causes of car accidents in the Tampa area:
- Speeding: Speeding reduces a driver's ability to control their vehicle, increases the distance required to stop, and decreases the reaction time to unforeseen road hazards. In Tampa, statistics show that speeding was a factor in 9% of all fatal car crashes. To avoid causing a serious crash, drivers should always adhere to speed limits and drive at a safe and reasonable speed.
- Rideshare Drivers: Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft are becoming increasingly popular in Tampa, but the rising number of these vehicles on the city's roads has led to an increase in accidents involving them. Those injured in rideshare accidents should consider hiring a rideshare accident attorney to help them recover compensation for their losses. That's because determining liability and navigating insurance coverage for crashes involving rideshare services can quickly become complicated.
- Distracted Driving: From programming a GPS to checking a text message, distracted driving is a risky habit that leads to millions of accidents nationwide. Texting alone causes 1.6 million car crashes each year. Remember, distracted driving impairs reaction time and increases the likelihood of a collision with other vehicles, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
- Fatigued Driving: Driving while feeling drowsy or tired is a common habit for many drivers, but doing so causes an average of over 100,000 car accidents every year. Fatigue can impair a driver's ability to make quick decisions, decrease alertness and focus, and slow down reaction time, leading to decreased control over the vehicle and an increased risk of a crash. To avoid fatigued driving, it is recommended to take regular breaks, plan rest stops during long trips, and opt for public transportation or a rideshare service when feeling too tired to drive safely.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous as it reduces the time and distance necessary for a driver to react to sudden changes in the traffic ahead, such as sudden braking or obstacles in the road, and increases the risk of a rear-end accident. To avoid causing a rear-end crash, drivers should maintain a safe following distance, adjust their speed according to the traffic and road conditions, and stay alert and focused on the road ahead.
- Driving Under the Influence: Drunk driving is dangerous as it impairs a driver's cognitive and motor skills, including reaction time, judgment, vision, and coordination, increasing the risk of car accidents, injuries, and fatalities for both the driver and other road users.
Florida crash statistics
Over 386,180 car crashes were reported in Florida in 2022, resulting in 3,355 fatalities and nearly 246,000 injuries. On average, 32,181 car crashes occurred every month in Florida in 2022.
Hillsborough County proved to be a particularly dangerous area for drivers, with almost 30,000 motor vehicle crashes reported last year. These crashes resulted in 219 fatalities and left nearly 20,000 people injured. Further, the county saw 473 bicycle accidents, 595 motorcycle crashes, and 652 pedestrian accidents.
Notably, Hillsborough County reported over 7,450 hit-and-run accidents in 2022, which caused 13 fatalities and 1,852 injuries. Some of the most hazardous roads in and around Tampa include Hillsborough Avenue, Florida Avenue, Kennedy Boulevard, and 50th Street.
Contact a Tampa car accident attorney
Navigating the aftermath of a serious car accident can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with insurance companies who often try to downplay injuries or shift blame onto the victim. In cases where negligence is involved, seeking the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer can make all the difference. At Armando Personal Injury Law, we are dedicated to fighting for fair compensation and advocating for those who have been injured in car accidents. To see how we can help with your potential legal case, contact us today for a free case evaluation.